Thursday, September 17, 2009

Matthew's finest - overkill makeup edition



This week, since I put the show together for the first time in months, I was actually able to put some songs on that I was really jazzed about. Not that I don't get jazzed about Ishmael's selections, they're just not mine to claim.

First off, I have a song from the compilation album of Clash covers, The Sandinista Project. I stumbled upon the album by happenstance, luckily catching it in the one day window where it was free to download, and have spent the time between then and now weeding out the good from the bad.There are 37 tracks on the album by 37 different bands, including the noteworthy version of The Crooked Beat, covered by Wreckless Eric. The stand out best contribution, however, belongs to Stew, the New York funk/soul/jazz/experimental electronica outfit.
Their version of Broadway is so different from the source material that it takes off in a completely different direction. And that's the great thing about a good cover, it's not a faultless reproduction of the original, it's supposed to be a fun interpretation. Stew does this very well.


Stew
The Sandinista Project
Broadway
[mp3]

Next up we have another cover. This time from a Canadian group, Metric, and a cover of a Bob Dylan song. Unlike Broadway, this version of Don't Think Twice It's Alright doesn't stray too far from the original. The tempo is nearly identical, but that's not why it's getting a post here.
The reason is that this song reminds you just how good Emily Haines' voice is. It's easy to overlook when you're distracted by Metric's typical powerpop noise and Haines' depressing solo music, but this song is sung with such simple joy. With only a guitar to accompany her, Haines' voice really comes through and that's why the song deserves more exposure.

Metric
Session recording
Don't Think Twice It's Alright (Bob Dylan Cover) [mp3]

Finally I'm going to give to you the standout best song to appear on the show this week. I hope I Become a Ghost is a song that I got from the ever-dejected John Campbell's blog, which is hilarious and full of good stuff.
The song, ably performed by L.A.s The Deadly Syndrome, is much more akin to the type of thing I normally post on this blog — if I would ever actually posted to this blog. And it's also the one that I have the least to say about. It's a wonderful rock tune. Driving vocals, adorable themes and just a hint of piany music. Enjoy.


The Deadly Syndrome
The Ortolan
I Hope I Become A Ghost [mp3]

No comments: