Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Matthew's Finest















This is one one the surest signs of the impending rapture: I am posting my song of the day within 12 hours of the show ending. I know, right?

Anyway, this week's song comes to us from Los Angeles band LIARS. I heard this song years ago when I was the tender age of just 18 years old. Yessir, it was the days of Ragtime, Flapper Hats and Prohibition, and we were all dancing the Charlseton to the hot licks coming out of this fine coastal American city.

The title is improperly punctuated, and that bothers me to no end, but it still holds a special place in my heart. It's a fast-paced song that *will* rock your socks right off. So be warned everyone: this is now a garter manditory zone.

LIARS - Mr. You're On Fire Mr.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

At the risk of looking stupid - I'm not seeing the punctuation error - you're is a contraction of you are is it not?

Matthew Stefanson said...

The error is found in the structure of the title, and not in the words themselves. There should be one or more comma(s) either after or before one of the 'Mr.' parts. It's a conversational line and therefore it needs a conversational structure.

"Mr, you're on fire Mr."
Mr. You're On Fire, Mr."

Ishmael suggested that perhaps 'you're on fire Mr.' was the fellows proper name, but i don't subscribe to his witchcraft.

Unknown said...

Shouldn't that have been fellow's?