Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Matthew's Finest


I've always been a hip-hop fan. When we were children together, Ishmael and I would often stay up late to watch the television on Friday nights, which everyone knows is the randiest television of all. At about 11:30 in the night time, RapCity would come on MUCH Music and I would settle in for a feast of visual misogyny. In addition to my sexual education, I was also exposed to a new kind of music; a kind that I would not have encountered growing up in Buttfuck, Saskatchewan. I had found Wu-Tang and it was good.

That said, I didn't like Cadence Weapon one bit when I first heard his music. In Search of the Youth Crew was, and still is, one of the most offensive things that has ever touched my ears. This all changed when I saw him play at Amigo's last year with the illustrious Woodhands. He rocked the place, and I finally saw the good in him.

Since then I've been eagerly absorbing everything that I find by him, and I've found that his collaborations have been the best by far. He's worked with Dragon Fli Empire, a hip-hop outfit out of Calgary, and done a remix of the Wet Secrets song Chinball Wizard that completely rocks ass. And this song is a perfect example of Cadence Weapon's ability to mingle with his peers.
Mini TVs was originally a Chad VanGaalen song that CW and Owen Pallett of Final Fantasy recently recorded for an episode of CBC Radio's Fuze. And thanks to the magic of the Internet, it can be yours today, for free.

Cadence Weapon [myspace]
Separation Anxiety

*BONUS TRACK!
The Wet Secrets [myspace]
Rock Fantasy

No comments: