Thursday, March 26, 2009

Matthew's Finest


This week I'm going against the grain of our usual blog posts and abandoning the actual playlist. The keen observer will note that the playlist wasn't entirely accurate anyway and since Ishmael put the whole thing together, I really don't' feel qualified to pick one of his songs. I do, however, feel qualified to endorse a band, and specifically a song, that I have been listening to ad nauseum lately.

Entire Cities is a band from Toronto that is made up of an ever changing number of members. The membership of the bad is huge, and their instruments and vocal ranges reflect this. They have mandolins, banjos, saxophones, singing saws, gravelly-voiced mountain men and angelic women whom you could absolutely fall in love with. Similarly, the type of songs on the first full length album, Deep River, is diverse and extremely entertaining. Some songs, like The Woods, for example, are so haunting and gorgeous that I usually have to stop what I'm doing when they come on my iPod. Others, like Dancing With My Brother, which we have never been able to play on morning radio due to the prevalence of a certain swear word, cause me to thrash about like a jackass in a fit of spasmodic glee. They are a wonderfully diverse band.

The song, Cop Song, spans the territory of both the ballad and the rock song. Its loose narrative rides seamlessly along the rich vocals of Simon Borer. Also, I'll be posting their song, Dancing With My Brother, because it has bewitched and it will not let me do any less. Check out their myspace and their website for a glance at what the rest of the album sounds like.
 
Entire Cities [myspace] [website]
Cop Song [mp3]

No comments: