Wednesday, March 25, 2009

SotW for March 25, 2009

The Burning Hell is a band made of 13+ people whose quirky lyrics and playful melodies, featuring lots of ukulele playing, have stolen my heart. (Matthew has previously posted about them.)

Their 2006 album Happy Birthday was a treat to listen to. Singer Mathias Kom's baritone contrasts well with the silly songs, and it would all fall apart if one couldn't be sure that the band has a lot of fun doing it.

The Burning Hell's new album Baby came out in late February. Fittingly, the first song on the album recounts an idealistic baby (fetus?) planning his entry into the world.

"I made all kinds of plans for when I got out
The things that I would do, the things I'd talk about

For when I learned to walk, I planned the places I would go to

Like New Brunswick and the mall, and the Toronto Zoo"

However, when the baby is born, he learns the world isn't all it's cracked up to be, at which point he decides he was much happier in the womb. He sings, "Take us back to the old world..."

The Burning Hell - Old World [mp3]

<website>
<myspace>
<CBCR3>

No comments: