Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Matthew's Finest


It's rare that I get to showcase any local talent on the blog. I think it may only have happened once, and that was mainly by accident, but this time, it's well worth it. Maybe Smith has been playing music in the Saskatoon area, and in many other parts of the world, for the last 6 or 7 years. In that time his music has evolved. From simple beginnings - which I confess I did not entirely enjoy, but in my defense I was sixteen and wore a backwards cap - his music has evolved.

There has been a lot of buzz surrounding the new album, Another Murder In The Morning, and I regret to say that it hasn't all been good. Some of my acquaintances have been extremely vocal about their distaste for this album, and oddly enough they were so even before it came out, but I was determined to give it a fair shake.

I've recently become enamoured with some forgotten tracks that had fallen out of my iPod rotation. Maybe Smith's seminal classics, like Bloody Nose (which was lucky enough to be #1 on the CBC Radio 3 R3-30 for a week in '07) or Open War have been looping in my musical wheelhouse for a few weeks now.

My first glimpse of Another Murder In The Morning was anything but a disappointment, and in the last year I've been disappointed by a lot of follow ups that just fell flat. I was growing concerned that my excitement for this new album was being inflated by the fondness I had for his old hits, but it lived up to my expectations entirely.
More Blood Than Sleep (After B.C.) is an incredible track. It starts out with a rhythmic chanting – one of three things that make a song great – and only gets better from there.

Maybe Smith: A man apart.


Maybe Smith [myspace] [website]
Another Murder In The Morning
More Blood Than Sleep (After B.C.) [mp3]

No comments: