Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Matthew's Finest


Well now, let's get this show on the road. 

I may have been kept out of the studio today by a freak hunting accident/wound acquired during the commencement of my duties as a firefighter, but you didn't come here to be told of my various exploits which may or may not involve arson and selfless heroics. You came here for a healthy dose of the bet that we have to offer. 

This week my song is an old one. Howe Sounds/Taking Abalonia, Said the Whale's first full length album, was released last year on Upper Management Records. My truest joys come in the avenues of a newborn babies smile, a stunning sunset or a delightful surprise; this song counts as one of those. Often I'll get comfortable with a band and forget what I liked about them in the first place; this is the reason I try to avoid listening to songs too much, but sometimes after you forget, something happens to make you remember it all again. Walking home late at night, a bit drunk, amidst a soft snowfall is one of those such happenings. 

The song, Howe Sounds, is one of the title tracks and it's easy to see why. The instrumentation transitions from soft to powerful seamlessly and the lyrics are the typical mix of whimsy and sweet sincerity that Said The Whale exhibits frequently in their songs.



[Bonus Track]
Today Ishmael played a song by Deer Tick which was actually a cover of a classic Paul Simon song. It's actually inferior to the Simon version, but much more relevant, so in lieu of actually playing it I'm posting the classic version here.


No comments: