Thursday, January 1, 2009

SotW for Dec. 31, 2008

Here's an extra song not included on the playlist. Recently, I was urged to get the Jens Lekman CD by my ladyfriend who is a big fan. I thought I liked Jens but I had no idea. The man is a musical genius. The song I'm including is from his 2007 album Night Falls Over Kortedala. Kortedala, by the way, is a neighbourhood in Jens's hometown of Gothenburg, Sweden.

A Postcard to Nina is the true story of Jens posing as his lesbian friend's boyfriend to her parents. Our Swedish hero sings about the awkward family dinner he endured while Nina's father (pronounced "fodder" by Jens) asks him questions. The comedy, sadness, and tenderness with which Jens sings has melted my heart and I have been listening to this song for the last two weeks on repeat.

Jens Lekman - A Postcard to Nina [mp3]

No comments: